Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Day 65

So I think that this is what I have been dreading and one of the reasons why I have been so out of sorts this week. Waiting is hard and it stinks. Watching other people get their LOA's who have waited the same time or less time than you really stinks. Don't get me wrong, I am super happy for them and so very glad that they got their LOA's because no one should have to wait like this. I am so happy that they are one step closer to bringing their child into a loving home. It is just human nature to feel a little left behind. I cannot imagine how the people who have been waiting for over 100 days must feel. I feel so awful for them and I do not know how they do it!!  Oh well, chin up and onward we go!!!
I feel that one of the responsibilities I have as a soon to be adoptive parent, is to dispel some of the misconceptions that people have about adoption, to educate and inform people about the process and the journey.  I must admit that before we had started on this adventure some of the questions that we, as adoptive parents, are asked I probably would have asked too! All the classes that you go to and the books you read teach you to look at adoption through the eyes of you child. They are being taken away from all that is familiar and all that they know and thrust into a world with foreign sounds, smells, language and people.
So, for my part, here are 10 questions not to ask adoptive parents and the author's answers to them. The challenge you have when you are asked an inappropriate or difficult question is to remember the response that you had thought of previously. Usually, you are so stunned and taken off guard that you never remember all the fantastic answers that you had thought up before.

While I may not agree with all of the answers or it may not be how I would answer the questions, I found this quite enlightening.

http://www.babble.com/baby/baby-care/parenting-advice-adoption-adoptive-parents/?page=1

1 comment:

  1. Hugs Bonnie...the waitng is BRUTAL. And watching people pass us by is hard. I totally understand the being happy for the other families, but that doesn't make us feel better, unfortunately :-(. I hope by the time you read this it is old news and you LOA has arrived.

    ReplyDelete