Friday, November 16, 2012

We have them!!!!

Sofie got her hearing aids at 10:30 this morning. She has been wearing them all day and hasn't even messed with them once. Wow there was a lot of stuff that the audiologist had to show us about them. Jim and I are complete and total losers trying to get them in her ears. Her little ear canals are so small that they are really hard to get in.

When she first put them in Sofie's ears, I almost started crying. The look on her face was sheer terror. The audiologist still had to program the noise reduction and the feedback cancellation. Once that was done, Sofie really started to calm down. She then proceeded to talk for the next hour non stop :) She couldn't get enough of hearing herself talk and on the way out of the building, she stopped, and turned toward the heater that was blowing air. She was enthralled with the sound of blowing air!!

A friend on mine relayed a story to me about when her daughter got her aids and how amazed she was at the sound of birds chirping. I love that story and thank you so much for sharing it with me! Our story isn't quite as emotionally moving......... it is very funny though........and very Sofie :)

We took Sofie out for lunch after and part way through lunch, she signed to me that she had to go potty. Off we went to the restroom and low and behold she actually went this time. When I lifted her off the toilet the automatic flush activated.........whooooosh. This is not the first time that Sofie has been around an automatic toilet when it flushed. She turned toward it with a look on her face of complete amazement. She started jumping up and down and yelled out a huge WOOOOOWWWWWWW!! She kept pointing to the toilet yelling WOOOOOWWWWWW the whole time. She wanted me to make if flush again and again. Anyone listening probably thought we were nuts! Typical Sofie :)



Ainsley was so excited this morning when she left for school. At sharing (show and tell)  today she told everyone that her sister was getting her hearing aids today and that when she got home from school, Sofie would really be able to clearly hear her for the first time :) She melted my heart!!!


1 comment:

  1. Yeah! I like to hear good news. What a unforgettable moment for you. I bet this helps you forget a lot of the struggles you had.
    I am so glad to hear that little Sofie is hearing.
    Eva

    ReplyDelete