Friday, November 23, 2012

Day 23

Today I am very thankful that Sofie's CT Scan is now done and the labs for her Connexin 26/ 30 genetic hearing test have been drawn. It is, hopefully, the last test she will have to have for a while. I say hopefully because we usually end up having to have another test done once we get the results of the previous tests. I am being cautiously optimistic. I was also a test that was almost not done today...........funny story!

Sofie has been fighting a cold for about a week now. It stayed the same up until a few days ago when it got worse. No fever, just a nasty cough and a runny nose. We had started preparing ourselves for the fact that they may not be willing to sedate her for her CT. The CT is quick but it is a lot of radiation and very thin cuts through her ear and if she moved in the slightest it would be ruined and have to be repeated hence more radiation.  She also wouldn't be able to have her hearing aids in for the CT so she wouldn't be able to hear me either yelling at her to hold still :) Sedation just works better, that, and she had to have an IV to have the labs drawn and I really didn't want to have to sit on her to have that done either.
We decided to head in as the cough starts to get better once she is upright and moving around for a while. Ainsley had to come with us too so she hid upstairs to eat her breakfast while we got Sofie ready as Sofie had to stay NPO, nothing to ear or drink.......anesthesia airway rules and we already have an airway full of snot.  Sure enough, her cough started clearing up a little so off we went. Jim did a car sweep for hidden snacks before we headed out. About half way there, Ainsley says " ummmmm, I forgot Sofie couldn't have anything and I accidentally gave her a Mike 'n Ike's candy just now".................WHAT!!!!!! I thought Jim was going to stop the car on the freeway and get out to strangle Ainsley. I lunged into the back seat and did a quick mouth sweep....no candy, only the sinister grin from a certain 3 year old! The look on her face was...I showed you! NO BREAKFAST HA HA HA!!! You could have heard a pin drop the rest of the way to the hospital. You see, it is a bad thing when you are an anesthetist and your child is having anesthesia at your place of employment and your kid shows up in violation of the NPO rule.....because of a tiny candy! It just looks bad. Wow, did we hear some jokes from EVERYONE :) They decided that her cough wasn't that bad and that the candy could be treated as a liquid because it was all sugar, not a solid. We only had to wait two extra hours until they would sedate her. It was very strange sending her for the CT. Because she is sleeping and sedated we don't go with her. It was a strange feeling sending my child by herself, sort of, to go have a test done that I do at work. I so badly wanted to go down to Radiology and quiz the Tech that was doing her scan. The old 20 questions- how long you been doing this and I am just going to stand here behind you and watch to make sure you are not going to mess it up :) I didn't. The Anesthesiologist kept an eye on everyone for me and reported back that all went well. No coughing in the middle of the scan.....whew!

So that is over. We should have the CT results on Monday. The genetics test will be anywhere from 4-6 weeks so I am not even going to think about it.

You have to hand it to Ainsley, she was honest. I am not sure that at that age, under those circumstances I would have said a word to anyone. She totally fessed up immediately and told us what she did.......she is always very good at tattling on herself. No harm done......thank you :)

No comments:

Post a Comment