Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Day 28

One year ago today we saw this sweet little face for the very first time. I am so very thankful for that day.


One year ago today we saw our daughter's face for the very first time. I still remember that day like it was yesterday. Ainsley was still awake when we got the call. I didn't want to look at the referral in front of her as we had turned down 3 referrals prior and I did not want to disappoint her. Our agency told me her details over the phone and when she got to her date of birth, 8-14-2009, I knew instantly that it was her. It was our daughter. Her birth date and our wedding anniversary are on the same day. I knew it was her without even looking at a photo or reading her whole file. Her picture sealed the deal and I could have cared less what was in her medical file. I knew that, finally, we had found our baby and all the pain and anguish over the last few years was suddenly just erased. I am so very thankful and blessed!

It is a strange thing to see a picture of your child and still not know exactly when you are going to go see her and bring her home. To know that everyday she is growing and changing and you are missing out on it. It is the hardest wait I have ever done.

We received the results from Sofie's CT Scan of her ears. It was totally normal. She had some under pneumatization of her mastoid air cells which is normal for cleft kids and kids with ear tubes. So the good news is that there is nothing structurally wrong with her ears and nothing that can get worse. There is nothing that is going to require surgery. It is sort of a relief to know that she won't have to have any more surgery in the near future. Now all we are waiting for is the genetic test results which will take 4-6 weeks. We may never know why she lost her hearing. It is clear by the fact that she can say some words that she was able to hear at some point. According to her paperwork from the orphanage and her reports from Love Without Boundaries, she could say the words mama and baba. I am grateful she is too young to remember any of it. I cannot imagine how strange and scary it must be to be able to hear and then for it to fade. I finally feel like we are starting to move forward. We know what we are dealing with and can do what we need to do to help Sofie learn to talk. She is such a spunky, smart little girl that I don't think she will have much of a problem over coming anything :)

No comments:

Post a Comment