Sunday, November 11, 2012

Another round of appointments

Tomorrow is Sofie's Genetics appointment. I am not sure how I am feeling about it. Not scared. She is amazing and wonderful and no matter what the results may be, it changes nothing. She is still Sofie.
For those of you who don't know, Sofie is being tested for several different syndromes. Which ones, we will find out the details tomorrow. Because she has what they term as two midline "defects" ( I hate that term) and her type of hearing loss is a little atypical for a cleft kiddo, they are worried that she could have a genetic syndrome. The only thing it will change is that we will have a definitive prognosis of things to watch for in the future and she will be able to determine her risks if and when she decides to have children of her own.

As for me, I am not looking forward to tomorrow. I have heard all the advice from people. Don't worry about it, it will all be OK. Don't worry unless they tell you to worry about something. I totally appreciate all the support and everyone trying to keep me calm and grounded. I cannot imagine how difficult it is going to be to listen to them go through each syndrome, it's characteristics and how it may affect her and not start crying. That is my goal tomorrow, not to bawl my eyes out in the Genetics Clinic. I am bringing Kleenex just in case :)

1 comment:

  1. Oh Bonnie, you can't help but worry. I would be concerned if didn't worry. Totally normal response. But like you said, Sophie is just perfect. She is such a beautiful child. I will be thinking of you all tomorrow.
    Shelley

    ReplyDelete