Sunday, November 4, 2012

A Sofie Story

I was talking to a friend on Facebook the other night when we veered off topic and I ended up telling her a Sofie story. She got a huge kick out of it and told me how one day this story will surface again and be told over and over, much to Sofie's probable dislike. I decided then that I should probably put this story in black and white print so my frail and ever failing brain will not have to remember all the details. It is a baptism story, Sofie style!

We arrive at the church for Sofie's baptism on time and I have no idea how that happened. At first Sofie was a little timid, kind of cautious. She always likes to scope out the situation, takes it all in, before jumping in with both feet. She settles down and then starts to explore. She is walking up and down the pews, stepping on every one's feet stopping every once in a while to flash someone her amazing smile. She does this until the choir starts singing. She is intrigued by it, but, more intrigued by the book we are all holding in our hands. She is fascinated with books and reads them out loud. This book is different though, you sing the words in it....her other favorite thing to do, sing. She can't do either, read or sing, but don't tell her that! Sofie does not want to share my hymn book, she wants her own book. She is working on the sharing thing too. Of she goes again and in a few minutes, she comes back with a hymn book for herself. It is a large hymn book so she keeps dropping it on the wood pew which makes a huge banging echo. I try to take the book away from her and try to get her to share mine. NO GO! She takes off again and continues her journey up and down the pews, this time with the hymn book. Finally, it is our turn to stand at the front of the church for the baptism. I think nothing more about the hymn book and the service continues on without a hitch.

Later, we go out to a hotel for brunch with all our family and friends. We are having a lovely time, but, Sofie is starting to get bored so I go looking for her little bag of toys that she takes everywhere with her. From the first day we met her, Sofie has carried around a little bag or back pack of toys or whatever has caught her fancy. There is usually a toy cell phone, one of our old cell phones, a little music player, one of Jim's wire bikes, the tags off her dress that we bought her in China ????? and whatever else she can find for that day. I pick the bag up and it is very heavy. I start pulling stuff out trying to find her cell phone so she can send a text, yes she does that too! I then pull out a rather large HYMN BOOK from church!!!! I turn to Sofie and the look on her face is pure joy and a "look what I got in my little bag Mommy!!!!" She is so proud of herself and really not happy when I make her walk it over to the Minister,  who is also out for lunch with us, and give it back. I have no idea when she stashed it or how she even got it into the bag. It was about the same size as the bag. That must have taken some kind of effort.

I am not sure what it means when you commit a theft at your own baptism....................... :)


2 comments:

  1. I love it. One day she will laugh about this one.
    Good you put it down. I should do same with our stories. You got that right - I can not remember most of the funny one with our kiddos.

    Eva

    ReplyDelete