Saturday, December 31, 2011

Care Package Sent

Still no update on Sofie through the traditional methods. My agency didn't even bother to get in touch with us this week, and they were open for part of the week.  I have been struggling this week with a lot of anger and resentment toward them and I don't like feeling this way. They have asked me not to send a care package to Sofie through a third party, yet they don't seem to be willing to take the necessary steps to get us what we need. Our initial request wasn't even for a picture. It was for additional height measurements that the International Adoption Doctor that we had consulted had requested. I still haven't even received those and it has been 31 days since we asked!
The breaking point finally happened this week when another Mom whose daughter is in the same orphanage told me about the updates that they had received on their daughter. The first update they were able to receive within 36 hours of issuing their LOI and the second update they had just before Christmas.  The orphanage is very receptive to requests for information and updates.....they just need to be asked.
Wednesday evening we ordered a care package through Ann at Red Thread China. She was fantastic! We ordered the package Wednesday evening and I had pictures of the package on Thursday. We are just waiting for it to be delivered! I am glad that we finally decided to send the gifts. I am still, however, racked with guilt. I am a rule follower by nature. I can't help it. I have never been one to deviate from the rules and I have always tried to respect other people and their views. I do, however, have a problem with someone saying that they are going to do something and then not doing it.  I feel like our agency hasn't even tried to help us out. If they have, then they need to communicate that better. 
We sent a very generic letter to Sofie and some gifts for the other children and the nannies too. I didn't want to send something from "Mom and Dad" as the wait for us to get there will still be a long time and I don't know how you can make a 2 year old understand that. I didn't want to do anything that would upset her or her life as she knows it now. I have tried to remember the concerns that our agency had regarding the care packages and I think it is reflected in what we sent and how we went about it. We have done the best that we could under the circumstances.
It makes me sad though. Most people are very excited when they send care packages and I just am not sure about how I feel. I am excited about possibly getting an update and pictures, I just wish it could have been done under better circumstances. 
I hope Sofie is doing well and that she, her friends and her nannies enjoy everything that we sent :)

No comments:

Post a Comment