Friday, July 20, 2012

All Done...and home already!!

Sofie had all her surgeries successfully completed with no problems yesterday. It took us a while to get her pain under control but then she just took off. This child continues to astound and amaze me. She has been happy with just Tylenol with codeine and ibuprofen. She hasn't had any morphine since last night at 9 pm.  Last night was good. She slept for almost 4 hours in a row. Jim and I did not however so we are seriously tired. I need to go to bed but I wanted to update everyone. I also need to tell a Sofie story.....she does some pretty amazing, funny things.

This morning we were debating whether or not to leave the hospital today, one day early, or stay the time period that we were supposed to. I had decided that we should stay as she just wasn't quite spunky enough for me to want to take her home. She still seemed to be having pain and just wasn't totally settled.  She must have heard me because suddenly she wanted to leave the room and go for a walk. Off she and Jim headed down the hall, her in her jammies toting her IV pole along. She turned into a totally different child just like that. She didn't want to stop at all. Jim finally left the hospital to go pick up my Mom and Ainsley for a visit. We decided to wait until her last dose of Tylenol at 2 pm before we decided whether or not to leave. Our surgeon was fine with us leaving today. Again, Sofie must have figured it all out. She started dancing in the room along with her IV pole and all the tubing. We went and talked to the nurse about getting rid of the pump and just keeping the IV in her arm. So now IV pump free,  she got very upset when Jim left. She took one look at me and pointed to the door. She then crawled out of my lap and started dragging her IV pole across the room. I went over to stop her and she grabbed my hand and put it on the pump and pointed to the door again. She wanted the pump out of the room, NOW!! I put it near the door and she continued to push it right out the door into the hall. She then walked back into the room, grabbed my purse, pointed to me and then to the overnight bag and then back at me as if to say, grab the bag Mommy, we are outta here!! She then proceeded to walk out of the room. Needles to say, we were discharged today mostly to avoid a complete revolt!! She came home and then played all evening until she went off to bed.  Like I said earlier, she totally amazing and astounds me all the time. She is one tough little girl. Some pics to tide you over until I can get her to hold still long enough for some proper pictures.

Pre operatively goofing around with Daddy


Our sweet little angel :)


The view from our room


Naptime with Daddy


2 comments:

  1. Bonnie,
    I am glad that all went well. She looks great.
    Crossing fingers for quick recovery.
    Eva

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy, your little one had a big day of surgeries. Praying she recovers quickly!! I've got two cleft affected daughters. The palate repair recovery take awhile, but hang in there! Your sweet, spunky girl WILL return!! She's been through a lot...so glad she's got her family to love her through it!

    ReplyDelete