Sunday, September 22, 2013

Slowly getting back to normal

Lots has been going on since we last talked. Both girls started school. Ainsley is now in Grade 3 and was very much looking forward to school this year. That is a complete change from the last couple of years. Change seems to stress her out a whole lot but this year she is excited and has been doing her homework with little complaint. I cannot believe how grown up and how tall she is getting. She is such a good big sister to Sofie. She even takes her outside with her to play with her friends. It is so cute. She is my sweet, sensitive child who wears her heart and emotions on her sleeve.

First day of School for Ainsley

Sofie started preschool a week later. She was sooooooooo excited. Tuesday and Thursday she attends a small class with her deaf and hard of hearing teacher. There are only 4 of them in the class and they all attend a regular preschool class together, with their DH&H teacher, on Monday and Wednesday. During the week she also receives two sessions with her school speech pathologist. She then also attends two sessions a week with our private speech pathologist through the ENT Department. It is a busy week. She is getting so big and growing up so fast. She even takes a school bus to school and just loves it.
 Sofie's first day of Preschool


Next week we have our follow up appointment with our ENT surgeon. I am very nervous. Her speech has changed a little, and not at all. Even her speech pathologist says that we are pretty much starting over again. It can get very frustrating. We don't see little changes though as we are around her all day. I knew going into the surgery that we wouldn't really see much change initially, that it would take time. Reality is much harder. She is still has a very hard time saying P and B at the beginning of a word. I am so scared that she is not going to be able to talk properly at all. I know it is all out of my hands and whatever happens, happens. It is beyond my control. Tell that to my heart.

Sofie has regressed a lot since the surgery. She is much more clingy with me and wants me to do everything for her and not Jim. Her sleep and potty training both took a huge leap backwards. Her night terrors have returned and she hardly ever sleeps through the night anymore. We are all tired and our nerves are shot. Still, she is such a joy. I look at her somedays and I can't believe that she is actually here now. EVERTHING is so new and awesome to her. She is such an old soul in a little persons body. No one frustrates me more and then turns around and makes me laugh and smile. She is Sofie. There is just something about Sofie :)









No comments:

Post a Comment