Sunday, February 3, 2013

It has been a tough month

I have been trying and needing to do a post and let off some steam. I just don't seem to have the time, the emotional fortitude nor the words to do so. So here goes it..........
As some of you may know, my Dad has been in his second battle with prostate cancer, his third battle with the ugly beast called cancer. He never complains, never feels sorry for himself and just wants to hang out with his family and grandkids whenever he is able to. Hence, the trip down to Minneapolis for Christmas which required postponing a round of chemotherapy to do so. I think he was prepared to walk down here. We had a wonderful time. While he was here, he came down with a nasty cold and looked just awful. Everyone headed back up to Thunder Bay the Thursday after New Year's. I got off work on Friday and looked at my phone on the way out. I had two text messages from my Mom. My Dad had been taken into hospital in an ambulance. I think my heart just dropped out of my chest. He was very weak and couldn't walk. His cough was awful and he was having a hard time breathing. The EMT noticed something on his EKG in the ambulance and made the ER physician aware of it when they got to the hospital. They did the usual battery of blood work and tests and he spent almost a week in the hospital. We found out that he now has COPD and had a heart attack probably at the end of their trip down here. His hemoglobin was also really low so he ended up getting 3 units of blood while in the hospital. He gets a little better and has a little more strength every day. He is still not back to his usual self. We have no idea what caused the heart attack. Whether it was the low hemoglobin, the cold or the chemo or the combination of all three. He has resumed biweekly chemo sessions and I am just so worried about what the chemo is doing to the rest of his body. The chemo is also not doing what it should be doing. His cancer is spreading and the next chemo has just awful side effects. I am heading up to Thunder Bay next week to meet with my Dad's oncologist. I have about a billion questions for her. I don't know what else to say......I am scared and worried. He still does not complain about anything at all. I am worried about my Mom too. She has been through a lot the last few months too. It will be nice to see my Mom and Dad again. I just wish we were closer to them so I could spend every moment I had free with them. Sometimes life just seems to stand still, like when you are waiting to adopt, and sometimes it just flies by all to quickly. There is so much more that I want to say, yet, I cannot seem to find the words. My father is a great man. He has touched the lives of everyone he has ever met, and then some :)

4 comments:

  1. hugs..I am so sorry. It is so hard to watch a loved one battle cancer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry Bonnie. Your dad sounds like an amazing person and I hope that you get some chances to spend more time with him this year. Let us know how the visit up there goes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bonnie,
    I am very sorry about your dad. Sending you lots of hugs because that is all I can do. Life is sometimes very difficult and we all somehow go through that. I am wishing him positive progress asap. I so want to see good news from you. You know my parents are way over the ocean in Czech and this really relates to me, although they are in good health, but than these things happens to real people .........
    Hugs
    Eva

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry you are having to go through all of that! It's hard when you are so far away! Praying for Sofie as she continues to increase her listening and speech skills. She is such a joyful kid that I'm sure she gets her point across but being able to communicate clearly would be such a help I am sure!

    ReplyDelete